12 September- 16 September 2016
Each September Playgroup Queensland celebrates Dress up Day. All Playgroups are encouraged to hold an event during a Playgroup session and invite local community members and families. These group events encourage Playgroup families and members of the community to dress up and raise awareness of their own Playgroup.
This year’s theme for Dress Up Day – Children’s Book Characters – provides the perfect opportunity for you to show your little ones just how much fun reading can be. Get them involved in making their own “book character” costume with just a few craft accessories. And then sit them down “in costume” and read the book together.
Kids love dressing up and it’s good for them. Dressing up falls under a type of play early childhood experts refer to as Pretend Play. It has been recognised as an important learning tool for:
- building confidence
- role playing
- exploring imagination. Click here for more information on the benefits of Pretend Play.
When you read to your child (and get them involved) they increase their:
- word recognition
- language recognition
For tips on how to get your child interested in reading, our early childhood experts at Playgroup Queensland have developed a digital Resource Kit filled with “how to” information.
Interested? Register your playgroup to hold a Dress Up Day event and you will automatically receive this kit for FREE!
Why else should your playgroup take part in Dress Up Day?
- You will go into the draw to win a $500 Educational Experience voucher and $500 Crayola voucher for your playgroup if you register by 9 September 2016.
- Take a photo of your little one in their costume and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #PGQdressupday by the 30 September 2016 and you could win a Baby Prize Pack or $250 Educational Experience voucher. Refer to Terms and Conditions.
- Grow your playgroup by inviting friends, local families and community members and encourage them to dress up. This is a great opportunity to find new families to join your playgroup, especially those families who have joined us through Play Stars – our initiative of offering families of newborns 12 months’ free membership.
Stuck for dress up ideas? Keep an eye on our Facebook and Pinterest pages for suggestions. Or check out our Top Five recommendations below:
Our Top Five Favourites Books & Characters
- Alice in Wonderland
- Possum Magic
- The Cat in the Hat
- The Gumnut Babies (perfect for our newbie Play Star babies)
- Dinosaur Roar