Space Rock Letters
Space Rock Letters is a hands-on, fun way of learning about letters. This activity gives children the opportunity to practise letter recognition using simple materials. Children will begin to learn that the alphabet represents a set of symbols that can be used in multiple ways and settings to give meaning and purpose.
- Different size rocks
- Magnetic letters
- Aluminium foil
1. Write the number with chalk on the rock. If a child cannot write you could dot an outline of the letter that the child can trace.
2. Wrap them in aluminium foil and hide them in a garden or inside the playgroup venue.
3. Invite the children to find them on a space treasure hunt.
4. You could also place the rocks on the outline of the letter to form a rock letter after writing on the concrete.
Extension of the activity
- Before the activity, send the children outside to help find the rocks.
- You could also use a paint brush and some water, model the letter on the rock and invite the child to try writing the letter.
- Invite children to create letters using playdough. Use letter placemats to help with this activity.