Children love threading and it is a fantastic way to focus on hand-eye coordination. This is a simple fine motor activity that is easy to set up and involves teaching children how to thread pasta on to wool or string to make a necklace. Place some other items on the table to encourage threading – items such as different size spools or larger beads (don’t use small ones as children may be tempted to put them in their mouths).
What you need?
- Any uncooked pasta that has a hole
- Food colouring
- Wool, string or pipe cleaners
1. Fill a couple of large mixing bowls with water.
2. Add the different coloured food colouring to the bowls.
3. Put pasta in individual bowls and allow the colour to coat each piece.
4. Let the pasta dry on an old tea towel.
5. Tie one piece of pasta on the end of a string. This will prevent the other pieces from falling off.
6. Thread pasta on string.
7. When it is the desired length cut the string and tie the ends together.
Extension of the activity
Children can use straws and other items they can find to make different types of necklaces and bracelets, etc.