As the Torres Strait Islander people are one of our First Nation peoples, it is important to continue to celebrate their culture with our children. A Dhari is a tribal headpiece worn in traditional dances or ceremonies in the Torres Strait.
What you need?
- Paper plate or white cardboard
- Feathers (brown, black and white)
- Glue or sticky tape
1. Cut out the centre of the paper plate.
2. Fold back the edges to make a semi-circle.
3. Place feathers around the back of the semi-circle.
4. Glue or tape the feathers into place.
5. Add elastic or string to the back for stability.
Extension of the activity
Use palm leaves to make a basket, or raffia to make a traditional skirt.