PlayConnect Playgroups are designed for families of children aged 0-6 years who have unique needs associated with having an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or developmental delays in communication, behaviour or social skills. PlayConnect is a welcoming place and a great way for families to connect with others, share knowledge and experiences, make friends in an environment of fun and mutual understanding.
PlayConnect is an early intervention initiative funded through the Australian Government Helping Children with Autism Package. Children do not require a formal diagnosis or referral to come and enjoy all that PlayConnect has to offer. PlayConnect is a playgroup for the whole family and siblings and carers are also welcome and included at PlayConnect.
The PlayConnect program provides play opportunities that are flexible and suited to the interests, strengths and needs of the children attending each group. PlayConnect playgroups are generally smaller and children can practice and learn new skills in a friendly environment.
At a PlayConnect Playgroup you will find:
- Structured routines
- Smaller group sizes
- Visual aids
- Modelling of physical play and social activities
- Positive encouragement
- A range of activities designed around the interests and needs of each individual family
- Opportunities to meet with child development service workers, autism experts and specialists
- Information about the variety of services and opportunities available within the local community and for children with an ASD
PlayConnect is a facilitated playgroup for families with young children aged 0-6 years who have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or who present with ASD-like characteristics.
PlayConnect offer families the opportunities to:
- connect with resources in the local area and through the Helping Children with Autism package
- gain support from other parents
- provide rewarding play experiences for their child
- support other parents
- be part of their wider community
- develop leadership and organisational skills.
For more information on PlayConnect Playgroups, or to join your local PlayConnect Playgroup, please call Playgroup Queensland on 1800 171 882.
For more information about other early intervention supports available through the Australian Government Helping Children with Autism Package, visit www.dss.gov.au or call 1800 289 177.
PlayConnect playgroups are supported through Department of Social Services funding under the Helping Children with Autism Package.